May 29, 2008

Cries of Solidarity

I took Luke to the pediatrician today for his two-month check up. I was dreading this trip for two reasons:

1. I knew he would be receiving a series of shots.
2. I had to take both boys without the convenience of a double stroller thanks to a recent ordering fiasco with a certain baby store.

I decided to push Jonah in the stroller as he has a tendency to run away from me, particularly in parking lots for some reason. I carried Luke in the Graco car seat carrier. About halfway through the walk from the parking garage to the doctor's office, I realized this was perhaps not the best transportation scenario but there was no turning back at that point.

Once we arrived at the doctor, I spent a good five minutes trying to convince Jonah that he was not here to see the doctor. I finally quieted him with some juice and goldfish.

Luke weighed in at 11 and a half pounds and was 23 and 1/4 inches in height. Not too shabby. The doctor thought Luke had some baby eczema but it turned out to be dried oatmeal that Jonah had placed on his head when he kissed him this morning. All was going well until the nurse came in to give Luke his shots.

On cue, Luke, Jonah and I all cried at the same time. Luke was crying due to physical pain and I was crying because I am an overly emotional, hypersensitive mama. I was most surprised by Jonah's reaction as real tears were pouring from his eyes and he looked absolutely horrified that someone would cause harm to his little brother. I was really quite moved by him.

When we got back to the car, Jonah insisted on giving Luke a kiss and a pat on his head before getting into his car seat. He has officially assumed the role of staunch protector at age 2 and a half. And with such ease. You amaze me, my sweet Jonah Bear!

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a sweetie! I knew he would be a fantastic big brother! I totally empathize with the doctor visit - that's got to be one of the worst things to do with two kids.