November 2, 2007

Siblings.

Lately I have been spending a lot of time in Jonah's glider. I don't really mind as it is actually quite relaxing. Jonah likes to be rocked sometimes, and I am happy to oblige. Some days he drifts off to sleep and other days he just giggles, plays with my hair and touches my face. It's all rather fulfilling.

Todd and I have implemented a new bedtime routine the last few nights. We let Jonah run up and down the long hallway on our second floor. He always begins this endeavor with such enthusiasm, sprinting as fast as he can to the other side and back. Eventually (and I do mean eventually as his energy seems endless), he tires and ultimately collapses into our arms ready to be taken to his room for prayers and bed.

Last night, about 30 minutes after Todd put him to bed, he began to cry and I went up to his room to see if he wanted to rock to sleep. As he lay across my stomach, I began to feel lots of flutters from this little one I am carrying inside. I was immediately overcome with a feeling of intense contentment, and I think I was for several reasons. This was the first occasion I have felt any real sense of movement from this pregnancy as I am just 18 weeks along, and I was happy to discover that feelings of excitement and wonderment were just as fervent as they were when I reached this milestone for my firstborn.

But more than that, I think the true reason for my contentment came with the realization that this was a tangible start to their bond as siblings. I have spent much time during this pregnancy wondering about this - how this new little one will fit with our family, how my children will get along and how my heart will adjust to the capacity of loving two children as much as I have loved having one. And I think last night, God was kind enough to give me a little glimpse and for that I am so very grateful.

2 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

How wonderful and exciting! I can't believe you are only 18 weeks into the pregnancy - is it going as slowly for you as it is for me? I'm sure I've told you that not only is the love for the second child equally as strong - it is exponential. The love for each one of them and the love of their relationship together is a powerful combination. You have much to look forward to...